Sayara International is hiring a Finance Assistant to join its global team. This role is full-time and remote working/home-based. Please read the full Terms of Reference below and guidelines on how to apply for this role. We look forward to hearing from you.
Sayara is seeking a Finance Assistant to join its busy global team. The Finance Assistant will work closely with the Financial Controller in managing, processing, and troubleshooting various accounts and transactions.
The successful candidate will be skilled at using Microsoft Office, especially Excel, as well as accounting software – particularly QuickBooks. They will perform their role with honesty and integrity at all times and communicate clearly with their colleagues and other stakeholders.
The Finance Assistant will contribute to the work Sayara does to build positive change in societies that most need it. You will be working as part of a welcoming and diverse international team of experienced professionals.
About Sayara International:
Sayara International is a social enterprise combining rigorous research and communication to create positive change in fragile and conflict-affected societies.
Sayara provides complex monitoring, evaluation, research, and learning (MERL) and social and behavior change communication (SBCC) in the most challenging environments. We work on countering disinformation, measuring social cohesion, and assessing education, migration, inclusive governance, climate change, and health.
Diverse perspectives and an emphasis on equity bring strength to Sayara. Gender, inclusion, and intersectional identities are cross-cutting themes across all our internal practices and our programs for governments, civil society organizations, and international institutions.
Sayara has evolved across unstable contexts. Our decentralized structure – with a global leadership network and investment in local talent – enables agility and rapid start-up, while equipping us with unique values and competencies.
Founded in 2003, Sayara operates in 30 countries across Eastern Europe, Sub-Saharan Africa, South and Central Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East. Our teams of professionals are based in field offices in Khartoum, Kyiv (until recently), and Nairobi, with support from our offices in Dubai, Istanbul, London, Marseille, and Warsaw.
- Perform routine calculations to produce analyses and reports as requested by the Finance Controller.
- Create, send, and follow up on sales invoices.
- Process and post all expenses and supplier invoices on QuickBooks.
- Review and adhere to department budgets.
- Collect and enter data for various financial spreadsheets.
- Reconcile any discrepancies or errors identified by conversing with employees and/or clients or partners.
- Collect information for and prepare payroll payments for employees.
- Assist the Financial Controller in creating financial reports on a regular basis.
- Answer questions and provide assistance to stakeholders, customers, and clients/partners as needed.
- Attend Finance department and company-wide meetings, sometimes assisting with financial reporting to managers and senior executives.
- Suggest changes or improvements to increase accuracy, efficiency, and cost reductions.
Required Skills & Attributes:
- 2 years’ experience in a similar position.
- Very experienced with Microsoft Office, especially Excel.
- Experience with accounting software, particularly QuickBooks.
- (No particular academic or training qualifications required for this position)
- Integrity and honesty.
- Customer service skills.
- Solid communications skills, both written and verbal (in English).
- Familiarity with business principles and practices.
- Superior attention to detail.
- Organizational skills.
- Problem-solving skills, analytical skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team, bring forward creative solutions to problems, and maintain a commitment to excellence and camaraderie.
Remote/ homeworking position. European or African timezones are preferred. Otherwise, there are no specific location requirements for the Finance Assistant role. The Sayara International team has regional hubs, support offices, and additional staff based in many locations around the world.
Before applying, candidates must have the right to work in the country where they are based (Sayara does not provide work visas).
We highly encourage applications from people from minority groups and/or from low- and lower-middle-income countries.
This is a full-time position (40 hours per week), Monday-Friday. Occasionally, overtime may be required.
Locally competitive. Salary package includes a monthly medical stipend.
The Finance Assistant will be offered a one (1) year employment contract, with a three (3) month probation period and the option for renewal, based on the discretion of, and mutual agreement between Sayara and the Finance Assistant.
Please submit your detailed CV with up-to-date contact information via email to email@example.com. Please use “Finance Assistant” as the subject line of your email. The deadline for applications is 19 August 2022.
Note that CVs will be screened on a rolling basis and Sayara will offer the position to the candidate who meets the requirements – even if it is before the deadline. Sayara does not charge a fee at any stage in the recruitment process. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview.
Sayara International is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran, political views or activity, or other applicable characteristics. This also applies to all employment practices within our organization.