RESEARCH AND PROGRAMS ASSOCIATE – SUDAN
Sayara International is hiring three (3) new Research and Programs Associates to join its Sudan team. This role is full-time and is based in Sayara’s Sudan office. Please read the full Terms of Reference below and guidelines on how to apply for this role. We look forward to hearing from you.
Only Sudanese nationals, or those with valid Sudanese residency status should apply for this position.
We are looking for a results-driven and confident Research and Programs Associate to join Sayara International’s programs team in Sudan.
The Research and Programs Associate will assist in the development, implementation, and oversight of the projects run by Sayara’s Sudan office. This includes project plans, and monitoring activities.
Furthermore, the Research and Programs Associate will directly impact the achievement of project results by assisting the Research and Programs Manager adhere to project management methods and strategies, reduce risks, cut costs, and improve the overall success rates of projects.
The Research and Programs Associate will report to Sayara’s Research and Programs Manager.
The Research and Programs Associate will contribute to the work Sayara does to build positive change in societies that most need it. They will be working as part of a welcoming and diverse international team of experienced professionals.
About Sayara International:
Sayara International is a social enterprise combining rigorous research and communication to create positive change in fragile and conflict-affected societies.
Sayara provides complex monitoring, evaluation, research, and learning (MERL) and social and behavior change communication (SBCC) in the most challenging environments. We work on countering disinformation, measuring social cohesion, and assessing education, migration, inclusive governance, climate change, and health.
Diverse perspectives and an emphasis on equity bring strength to Sayara. Gender, inclusion, and intersectional identities are cross-cutting themes across all our internal practices and our programs for governments, civil society organizations, and international institutions.
Sayara has evolved across unstable contexts. Our decentralized structure – with a global leadership network and investment in local talent – enables agility and rapid start-up, while equipping us with unique values and competencies.
Founded in 2003, Sayara operates in 30 countries across Eastern Europe, Sub-Saharan Africa, South and Central Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East. Our teams of professionals are based in field offices in Khartoum, Kyiv (until recently), and Nairobi, with support from our offices in Dubai, London, Marseille, and Warsaw.
The Research and Programs Associate will be responsible for:
- Project implementation
- Project monitoring and reporting
- Stakeholder management, coordination, and liaison
- Knowledge management and innovation
- Proposal development and support
1. Project implementation:
- Maintain thorough knowledge of Sayara’s projects and their methodologies.
- Monitor, coordinate, and communicate strategic objectives of the projects.
- Lead administration and financial aspects of the projects, including organising and overseeing fieldwork across Sudan, in collaboration with Sayara’s operations and finance team.
- Facilitate communications between Sayara and its partners for project-related issues.
- Contribute to the development of project plans under the guidance of a Project Manager and/or Technical Lead, to develop future capability.
- Compile user-friendly project reports, including about specific events, incidents, or updates.
- Proactively solve conflicts and work with project team members to troubleshoot and address any issues that arise.
- Support team goals and carry out any other related duties as required by the Deputy Country Director.
2. Project monitoring and reporting:
Provide substantive inputs in the preparation of project reports and documents as follows:
- Monitoring, tracking, and reporting on the status of project deliverables to ensure time, cost, and quality metrics are in line with approved project plans for assigned projects.
- Monitoring fieldwork during research, quality-assuring data collection efforts.
- Maintain compliance with endorsed project management and research methodologies.
- Assist the Project Manager or Technical Lead in the preparation of project reports and ensure compliance with best practice, Sayara procedures, and contractual obligations.
3. Stakeholder management, coordination, and liaison:
- Support the coordination and management of communications with key stakeholders.
- Liaise and build relationships between Sayara, its partners, and other project stakeholders to effectively facilitate activities.
- Participate in meetings with clients, donor agencies, NGOs, and other partners as required.
4. Knowledge management and innovation:
- Ensure all project information is stored properly on Sayara systems.
- Support the compilation of lessons learned for Sayara projects/programs.
- Ensure quality of data, for example by undertaking quality control procedures.
- Contribute to the sharing of best practices and lessons learned for planning and knowledge building.
- Contribute to building Sayara’s expertise in technical tools and techniques, including through the Research and Programs Associate’s own professional development.
- Ensure that local capacities are built at every level where possible.
5. Proposal development and support
- Support general business development efforts, including business intelligence gathering and developing relationships with key stakeholders to support future work.
- Support proposal development, including writing sections of proposals as required.
- Assist in identifying personnel or partner organizations for new projects.
The Research and Program Associates will report to the Research and Programs Manager.
Desired Qualifications/ Skills:
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree (B.A. with significant relevant prior experience may be considered) in social science, political science, international affairs, development, or other relevant fields. Additional qualifications are desirable.
- Experience conducting fieldwork and applying research to support practical outcomes with specific knowledge of the Sudanese context.
- Experience writing user-friendly, evidence-based reports for use in development programs.
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation (humanitarian work and/or development programs).
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision and to consistently meet deadlines.
- Ability to work long hours when needed and to take on tasks that may be outside of the express terms of reference.
- Strong commitment to high quality work and integrity in all interactions.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to engage appropriately with various audiences.
- Professional English-language writing skills (a writing exercise will be part of the interview).
Location & Travel:
This position is office-based, so all those who apply are required to be based in Sudan if they are selected for the role.
We highly encourage applications from women and people originating from minority groups.
Salaries will be locally competitive and according to experience and qualifications.
This is a full-time position (40 hours per week), Sunday – Thursday.
The Research and Programs Associate will be offered a one (1) year employment contract, with a three (3) month probation period and the option for renewal, based on the discretion of, and mutual agreement between Sayara and the Research and Programs Associate.
Please submit your detailed CV and cover letter with up-to-date contact information via email to email@example.com. Please use “Research and Programs Associate” as the subject line of your email.
The deadline for applications is November 7, 2022. Note that CVs will be screened on a rolling basis and Sayara will offer the position to the candidate who meets the requirements – even if it is before the deadline.
Sayara does not charge a fee at any stage in the recruitment process. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview. Should you have any queries about the role please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sayara International is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace.