The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic has been pervasive, reaching people in various geographies, and all walks of life – albeit affecting people to different extents. Since the initial outbreak, new programs have been introduced to deal with the effects of COVID-19 and to reduce...
GENDER ADVISOR – EASTERN EUROPE (CONSULTANT)
Sayara International is a global development company that specializes in rigorous research and innovative programming in conflict-affected and transitioning societies. Founded in 2003 and with more than 120 staff worldwide, Sayara is a leading organization providing services in monitoring and evaluation, socio-political analysis, strategic communication, governance, preventing and countering violent extremism, disinformation, migration, and youth and education. Our strength comes from our adherence to our core values, our unparalleled expertise in research methodologies, and the context-specific experience of our team members. We constantly innovate to create research designs that are customized to answer our clients’ questions.
Sayara’s Eastern Europe regional team operates from Ukraine, Poland, Georgia, and the Baltic countries. The regional team conducts projects in the Baltics and Eastern Partnership countries. We deliver services to clients around the world, including the United Nations (UNDP, UNOPS, UNFPA, UNHCR, UNICEF, UN Women), the European Union, governments (U.S., UK, France), universities, international NGOs, and other major donors. Headquartered in the Washington, D.C. region with local offices in Kenya, Sudan, Afghanistan, Lebanon, Colombia, Ukraine, and France, Sayara is responsive to client needs in complex environments through local expert knowledge and an ethical, evidence-based approach.
With the aim to further support regional and local authorities’ efforts in addressing gender inequalities, UN Women is implementing the project “Building democratic, peaceful and gender equal society in Ukraine,” funded by the Government of Norway. This project focusing on the prevention of gender-based violence and the implementation of Women, Peace, and Security commitments in the crisis-affected communities of Donetsk, Luhansk, and Zaporizhzhia regions.
The overall objective of this project is to collect and analyze data on gender stereotypes, public perceptions of gender roles, and attitudes towards gender-based violence. This research will lead to the “Endline Survey” of current and dominant attitudes, perceptions, opinions, and beliefs toward gender equality and gender-based violence in target hromadas in Donetsk, Luhansk, and Zaporizhzhia Oblasts.
- Participate in meetings and calls with UN Women and other relevant stakeholders
- Collaborate with the data collection partners to ensure gender-sensitivity of all survey protocols
- Conduct an in-depth review of the baseline to inform the endline study
- Leading role in the design of the methodology, questionnaires, and FGD guide; working closely with Sayara’s social scientist (note that a baseline is already available)
- Review and validate all deliverables prior to submission to the client (UN Women and partners)
- Develop 25-40% of the final analytical report, in close collaboration with Sayara’s social scientist. Responsible for developing the background, recommendations, contribute to conclusions, and contextualize findings. Sayara’s social scientist will handle the descriptive data analysis including coding and treatment of qualitative data and the quantitative data processing and analysis.
- Minimum Master’s degree (B.A. with significant relevant prior experience may be considered) in social science, political science, international affairs, development, or another relevant field
- Experience in gender advisor roles on donor-funded research projects
- Experience with United Nation activities and projects
- Experience writing user-friendly, evidence-based reports for use in development programs
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision and to consistently meet deadlines
- Excellent English language writing skills
- Fluency in Russian and Ukrainian languages
Location & Travel:
Sayara seeks a candidate currently based in Ukraine. The candidate should have legal authorization to work in Ukraine. Travel throughout the region may be required.
The project’s expected start is early November 2020 and it will last till early March 2021. More specific timing will be provided upon award of the contract.
Please submit your detailed CV with up-to-date contact information via email to jp@SayaraInternational.com. Please use “EASTERN EUROPE GENDER ADVISOR (CONSULTANT)” as the subject line of your email. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.